Animas CU About Us

History

Home > History

A Brief History of Animas Credit Union

Animas Credit Union, a Division of SLFCU is a not-for-profit, member-owned financial institution serving the Farmington, Bloomfield, and Four Corners areas.

The Credit Union was chartered in 1956 by El Paso Natural Gas employees and their families. In 1960, the Credit Union changed its name to Animas Credit Union.

From 1956 to 1982, ACU operated out of the original El Paso Natural Gas Company building in Farmington, New Mexico. The Credit Union was run by one person on a part-time basis until January 31, 1961, at which time a part-time employee was hired to help keep up with day-to-day operations.

In June 1982, the ACU opened its first independent facility. In 1986, the Credit Union doubled in size to accommodate rapid growth. A branch location opened in 1995 at 3850 East Main Street, and in 2003, the Animas Central branch (known as the "Home Office") opened at 2101 East 20th Street.

A full-service Commercial Services Department was added in 2007 to accommodate the needs of local small businesses. At the end of 2009, the 1,900 members of Totah Credit Union merged with ACU. In 2010, a new branch opened inside Farmers Market in Bloomfield, New Mexico. As of 2021, the ACU counted more than 14,000 members in the Four Corners area.

After approval by a majority of voting members in April 2021 and receipt of regulatory approval from the National Credit Union Administration and the New Mexico Regulation & Licensing Department's Financial Institutions Division, ACU became part of Sandia Laboratory Federal Credit Union (SLFCU) on July 1, 2021. The combined organization's presence in the Farmington area is branded as "Animas Credit Union, a Division of Sandia Laboratory Federal Credit Union" for a period of time while work is underway to combine member accounts into one transactional system.

Learn more about the merger here.